Lake Como, Lake Maggiore

The lake maggiore - which in Italian means: the big lake - is the second biggest lake in Italy, but only about 80% lay in the Italian regions of Lombardy and Piemont. The other 20% belong to Switzerland. It is the second biggest lake in Italy after the lake Garda. The third biggest is the lake Como, which is in the Lombardy. The region is well-known for the characteristic, small villages and the luxurious villas. Famous persons as George Clooney, Madonna, Brad Pitt and Donatella Versace discovered the beauty of the lakes and have holiday homes there. The mixed landscape from alpine mountains, Mediterranean plants and the lakes, creates a special atmosphere. The lakes are popular for water sports as the wind is perfect. With hot summers, mild winters and few rain days, it is a perfect holiday location.

Hotels - Lake Como and Lake Maggiore

In the natural beauty of the regions Lombardy and Piemont, the secretplaces team found a collection of hotels for you. This collection reaches from simple, self-catering apartments, over family friendly and easy going hotels to luxury design accommodations. All of them are chosen for there special something and will make your holiday an unforgettable experience. To see the collection click on the list of hotels or map on the right side. Are you looking for a  bed & beakfast in Mezzegra or a luxury hotel in Torno? Whatever you feel like!

What to do and see

Sports activities in this region can involve: playing golf, horse back riding, hiking, mountain biking, sailing, kite surfing and gliding sports.
Close-by cities worth a visit are famous Milan, Bergamo, Lugano, Monza and Brianza.
We recommend visiting the castles Castello di Vezio just above Varenna, from where you have an amazing view, the gardens of villa Monastero and the Forte Montecchio and Forte del Fuentes in Colico.
If against all luck, you will have bad weather, you have many interesting museums to choose from as the maritime museo della barca lariana, the navigational instruments museum or many more.
Of course, you should not miss to go for a swim in the lakes.
A very special destination is one of the Brissago islands in the lake maggiore, which contains a botanical garden. In general, the landscapes are the highlights there.

Wine and gastronomy

The vineyards of Novara, in the Piemont region produce the most traditional wines in Italy and offer many different types to spoil wine lovers.
The village Ghemme produces apart from one of the best wines in Italy, which was also given a premium, also very good honey. Its acacia honey and the Mille Fiori honey are one of the most popular.
The Gorgonzola cheese has already been produced for many years, well-known and loved all over the world and in the Lombardy an important part of many dishes.